Titan Spectator

The Student News Site of West Salem High School

Titan Spectator

Titan Spectator

Social Studies teacher Drew Moneke has started a new class called Mock Trial

Mr. Drew Moneke hits his gavel to bring his Youth and Law club to order after school on October 12, 2023
Derek Mirgel

Drew Moneke has started a new class called Mock Trial. This is great news for students who enjoy governmental practices, such as looking at both real and made-up legal cases. They can gather evidence and either oppose or support the defendant and even make a “mock trial.”

Mock Trial class is open to all students who wish to explore the legal system. No previous experience is needed, only a desire to learn and analyze facts. As a member of the class, students will work together to form arguments and debate, which will help them develop their communication and critical thinking skills. They will also learn how to work in a team, manage time, and research a topic, all while enjoying the fun of creating their own trial.

When asked why he wants to start this class, Moneke said, “I stopped coaching a decade ago. So I took 10 years off to support my kids. And last year, I had the opportunity to teach six Youth Law classes and two advanced law classes. And the sense out of that space was we’d like to start a mock trial team.” When asked why he would honor those student’s enthusiasm for Mock Trial, Moneke says, “I’m really just using the medium of this program, mock trial, to connect young adults.” It seems that Moneke really enjoys his job as a teacher, reaching young minds and allowing them to branch out and learn about how a government’s justice system works. Even stating, “The fact that those individuals enjoy it, the law gets even better. So, I enjoy hanging out and being impacted by young human beings.”

The Mock Trial class is an excellent opportunity for students who are interested in government, criminal justice, and legal studies to discover more about these areas.  Moneke’s dedication to his students and his desire to share his passion with them is contagious. Mock Trial takes place during All students are encouraged to join this class and explore Mock Trial class.