Titan Spectator

The Student News Site of West Salem High School

Titan Spectator

Titan Spectator

A celebration of love at WSHS

Love is in the air at West Salem High! Exploring the heart of Valentine’s Day on campus.
Candy+hearts+mark+a+common+way+couples+and+friends+alike+celebrate+Valentines+Day.+
Candy hearts mark a common way couples and friends alike celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Valentine’s Day, a day dedicated to love and affection, has a rich history dating back centuries. Valentine’s Day originated from ancient Rome where the celebrations were violent. Later, in the 15th century, Pope Gelasius declared February 14th as St. Valentine’s Day. Initially, it was a Christian feast day honoring a martyr named Valentine. Still, over time, it evolved into a significant cultural and religious celebration with roots in both ancient pagan festivals and later folk traditions. It is a time when people express their love for one another through gestures, gifts, and acts of kindness.

Valentine’s Day at West Salem High School is more than just a day on the calendar; it’s a celebration that brings together teachers, students, and staff in a spirit of love, unity, and romance. As February 14th approaches each year, the school buzzes with excitement as activities both inside and outside the classrooms mark this special occasion. 

For Sophia Callis, this Valentine’s Day holds a promise of spending time with her boyfriend Lewis while also planning a memorable girl’s night out with friends, “I’m planning to hang out with my friends this year we might have a girl’s night or do something special together,” Sophia says. She sees Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to spread positivity and appreciation among her classmates, creating a warm and friendly atmosphere within the school community. 

Claire Hensly and Adrian Anderson, another couple at West Salem High School, find solace in “the cafeteria or by the lockers; these spots hold special significance for us because we enjoy each other’s company, Claire says. These spaces provide moments of peace and togetherness away from the hustle of school life. These simple yet profound moments capture the true essence of love and unity that define Valentine’s Day at West Salem High School. 

As students exchange handwritten notes and small acts of kindness leading up to Valentine’s Day, the school becomes a beautiful picture of love created by every kind action and sweet gesture exchanged between students. The evolution of how this day is celebrated over the years reflects changing traditions and the enduring spirit of affection that binds the school together.

In conclusion, Valentine’s Day at West Salem High School goes beyond just romantic actions. It is a time when love, togetherness, and romance fill every part of the school. When students gather to celebrate and show affection on this day, the real spirit of Valentine’s Day shines throughout West Salem High School.