Titan Spectator

The Student News Site of West Salem High School

Titan Spectator

Titan Spectator

Staff and students adjust to the new single lunch schedule: here’s how it’s going

West Salem High School lunchroom during morning hours, December 8th, 2023.

West Salem High School has been under various changes coming into the 2023-2024 school year. Whether that’s more vending machines or a no-phone policy, they all seem to add something new and up-and-coming.

A very obvious change to WSHS has been the adjustment from two lunch times to one lunch total.

“I think students like one lunch better than two lunches because they can eat with their friends and it makes their schedule a lot simpler,” says Aislinn Devine, a junior at West. This was a valid point brought up by many students. One lunch breaks the barrier of having friend groups split up. Many students see it as a relief for them to spend time together with everyone.

“I think it’s a long-lasting change because it makes everything simpler for everyone…it also works better with the CTEC schedule and the schedule of other students,” Devine says. Salem-Keizer’s unique Career Technical Education Center is a separate school, allowing students to learn a trade such as cosmetology while also attending West. With one lunch break, Aislinn notes that the simplicity of balancing CTEC and school classes was easier without having to remember when specifically lunch time was.

Not only have students had to adjust to the change but staff have had to as well. “I think it’s easier but there is always room for improvement,” says Glenda Myer, a lunch worker here at West.

Myer added that their staff are always trying to make it a speedier process for everyone. This year was also the start of using the upper cafeteria kitchen.

“I think it’s really great because we all come together and then we just do upstairs and downstairs lunch. And then we all get to help each other,” says Glenda. Teamwork is the main component for balancing all the students at once.

The change overall, has been seen in a positive light as a future arrangement. Besides the longer lunch lines, Devine adds, “I think it’s a long-lasting change because it makes everything simpler for everyone.”

Forty minutes to eat lunch provides more time to socialize and take a break. It also makes schedules less confusing. Students don’t have to worry about which lunch they have on A, B, or All Meet days and mixing up the various schedules throughout the week. Having the same lunch every day helps streamline the otherwise often overwhelming bell schedule.

West Salem lunch worker Nahla Armouch says, “I think it’s too much line…that’s the only thing that’s affected students the most.” Nahla has a few years under her belt in the food industry and she sees the change as a work in progress but it’s continuing to develop for the sake of students. Overall, the one lunch has seen a positive change and is seemingly here to stay.