Titan Spectator

The Student News Site of West Salem High School

Titan Spectator

Titan Spectator

Extended Skip Day? Balancing Freedom & Responsibility At West Salem High School.

Exploring perspectives on an extended skip day as seniors at West Salem High School weigh freedom against responsibility in their final semester.
Senior+Skip+Day+graphic+posted+on+the+%40titanclassof24+instagram+account.+
Senior Skip Day graphic posted on the @titanclassof24 instagram account.

At West Salem High School, the tradition of a Senior Skip Day has always been a much-anticipated event, offering students a short break from the rigors of academic life. However, this year, discussions are swirling about extending the skip day from the usual one–day to a three-day extravaganza. As seniors eagerly anticipate this extended break, the school community is abuzz with excitement and apprehension about the potential impact of this decision.

When asked about the influence of a three-day break on a student’s overall well-being and academic performance, Karla Camacho shared her insights. She believes that “The extended break could provide seniors with the opportunity to catch up on pending tasks, ensuring they finish high school on a strong note.” Kristen Abraham weighed in on the potential benefits and drawbacks of a longer skip day. She highlighted that, “Three days of skip day activities could create more lasting memories and foster stronger bonds among classmates, enriching their senior experience.”

Considering the importance of balancing relaxation and academic responsibilities, both students emphasized how a “Longer skip day could help reduce stress and enable students to return to their studies with a refreshed mindset.” In discussing how school leaders could support students in maintaining their academic focus while allowing for moments of rest and celebration, there was consensus on the importance of finding a balance that promotes academic success and student well-being. Karla and Kristen highlighted the importance of taking time off to decompress and recharge before the end of the senior year. They emphasized that relaxation improves school performance and creates a better transition into post-graduation life. 

As West Salem High School prepares for an extended skip day, the community is grappling with questions of freedom, responsibility, and the delicate balance between enjoying senior year festivities and meeting academic obligations. From seniors’ perspectives, the debate continues regarding how best to navigate this tradition while ensuring that students make the most of their final months in high school.