Titan Spectator

The Student News Site of West Salem High School

Titan Spectator

Titan Spectator

Family Night for the Dual Language program

A large group of people gather in the library during the Dual Language program family night on Mar 12, 2024 at West Salem High School in Salem, OR.
Dylan McGuirk

On Tuesday, March 12th, from 6 to 8 PM, students, teachers, and families of the Dual Language (DL) program gathered in the library at West Salem High School for family night. There were games, food, drawing, and information about all the schools in the West Salem DL program. There were many teachers there, as well as boards demonstrating all of the programs offered throughout the DL program in West Salem. There was the ability to meet quite a few of the DL system teachers, and have a lot of fun! 

While there I conducted interviews with a few kids and teachers about their opinions on the DL program and what it meant to them. Gerardo Garibay Zuniga said, “I think if anything it sets [kids] up better for college than any other program.” When asked about his association with the DL program he stated, “I came here from Mexico and I wanted some familiarity,” which truly is the goal of the DL program: to ensure that everybody, no matter their background, has an equal chance of success in and beyond high school. 

However, he also thought that the DL program had more potential than it was currently fulfilling. “I think [the DL program is] great, but I think it could definitely improve. It could definitely get bigger; could go to more schools.” 

I also interviewed Walker Middle School DL teacher Mrs. Leonard on what she thought of the DL program. “I think it’s great,” she said. “I think it gives students so many more opportunities, not only bilingual, but bicultural. I think it opens a lot of doors later on in life for them and also in high school and college.” She also said, “I think they’re maybe working with peers they wouldn’t normally meet or work with.” 

It is evident that students and teachers alike agree on the value of the DL program and its impact on students. The program gives them access to new experiences and ideas from other students and parts of the world, while also giving them more opportunities for their future, with all of this being illustrated at the recent parent night.